The future of PSO1

Alright so this game has a lot of balance issues between how powerful some of the weapons are vs some of the other weapons. I've played on this server for a while, and I've also played on other servers as well. I've been playing the game since dreamcast. There is even in-balancement with the specials on weapons. For example the only weapon specials worth using are berserk, charge, spirit (not even), hell, and demons. I mean 99% of the people can probably agree with me on that. But how about Tempest, and Burning? Games get boring if there is no variety, and if you could implement a way in which you can change the damage on those specials for weapons that would be interesting. People might argue with me saying they would be "useless" anyways but thats not true. You can use those weapons for enemies weak against fire, or lightening. They would be situational nonetheless however and people might say they'd rather use Dark Flow, Tsukimiri J Sword, Excal, etc. What if the specials were made to do damage competing with those weapons. They wouldn't be used all the time since every enemy has a different resistance. Other people might argue well those specials would be doing more than my Rafoie, or Razonde on my force. But.. that's not true, you can't spam burning and tempest specials on weapons. A force can constantly spam techniques until their tp runs out. You can't really miss using spells on a force, while you can miss on a weapons special. Therefore burning and tempest is actually useful and beneficial but situational.

I've had a talk with a couple people about other in-balancement issues on this game but I thought it would be important that people might be able to actually make use of some of the other specials that you can't normally use since they suck anyways. I mean who uses burning, and tempest? The answer is nobody. So why not improve something that sucks to begin with. I can go on for lists of things that need nerfs, and buffs on Ultima's PSO1. Like serious improvements.

• Like 6

Actually I saw somebody playing with a dragon slayer and doing a great job, not everyone can afford the big guns, since they are end game gear and anyone that likes a challenge will sooner or later grab onto weapons that others call crappy and make them be good with the right playstyle.

Could be interesting having other versions of dark weapons and even other versions of the op weapons, pretty much 100 souls is something like that,spirit excal.

Funny you didn't mention blizzard, as it's probably right up there with arrest(not mentioned either) in "stopping" monsters in their tracks.

Granted, Sega could have done a bit better job balancing the gear and play in the game, but considering other MMORPGs I've played, it's not that bad.

Yea, so a few specials "suck", granted they are very situational for their use, namely against certain monsters who are weak to foie and zonde. One way to fix the foie attacks like burning is to somehow create a temporary burning "attack" adding more damage or just use a gifoie attack to spread across the area with it's damage from point of impact. For tempest, you could increase the chance of shock or make it like a gizonde attack that chains across nearby targets. That way it could be an alternative to arrest, the Anti-Android Rifle is a great example of a weapon that could be improved in this manner.

There are ways to improve such specials, but honestly only someone with command of the game's code could truly figure out an acceptable way to address the issues. So honestly, what do I know, I'm just a dumb gunman. XD

• Like 2

I would have included blizzard but they can't really do much with it. There is no way to increase the freeze proc on it unfortunately. I know that for a fact there is something weird about that special. Either way I think they should make those two specials useful, I know it's possible definitely. For example if the burning/tempest is only doing 200 damage for an attack just increase the percentage up to the point where it's doing like 700 damage or so to enemies weak to that element. For mechguns they can just reduce the burning/tempest percent damage so it doesn't do as much. It gives another opportunity for specials that suck like burning and tempest to be more viable to use. Currently they're absolutely not viable. There are a bunch of balance issues with the game definitely that could easily be fixed if people were interested and wanted to be involved in something like that.

I think weapons like excal should be nerfed because #1 they're basically an all class weapon (-foneys) that hits multiple targets. They have almost 1000 atp with berserk.. while the zanba doesn't even have close to that maybe 500-600 atp and it's decently rare + it's not even all class. Only a couple of the characters can use it. That itself doesn't make sense considering excal can be used by everyone basically and it's so powerful. Wouldn't you think the other way around, the weapon that is for less classes would be more powerful since there is a bigger restriction on classes.

The Guld Milla should be buffed because what's the point in getting the Guld Milla if you can get weapons with the Yaz 9000 with the gush special. Demons and charge outrank the Guld Milla although it's one of the rarest Mechguns in the game and yet you got Psycho Ravens that do way more damage than the Guld Millas. The Guld Millas don't even have rifle range like the Yaz.. They're literally the rarest mechguns in the game. You can get 1 with bpd but the other handgun has an outrageous drop rate so good luck getting them. The reward for getting the handgun is basically oh btw the Guld Milla you just made with one of the rarest weapons in the game doesn't do shit lol.. If the Guld Milla isn't going to be buffed like it should, it should at least have something that upgrades it so it can compare with the other mechguns damage wise.

I have a list that can go on forever.

• Like 2

I actually love my guld milla. It's been my favorite weapon in the game since I played on gamecube and could only dream because of that 1/172,000 drop from tallow xD. I use them because the unreduced gush is actually great and works well on my racast. Plus, they are imo the coolest looking mechs so I got no complaints :D. Your point about the tempest and burning are very valid and I will support you in your endeavors! :onion107:

• Like 3

*randomly logs in and sees this* Wow i never thought people would actually ask for rebalancing here, but the only problem here is that rebalancing can't be done in 1 step, people will get mad, and if things aren't done correctly there will be yet another L&K38 Combat drama about combo locking it, now people have moved on from that topic but other powerful items have come along and starting to rebalancing things right now isn't the best idea, you see ultima community (from when i last played) is mostly composed of casual players so having OP weapons, easy drops, everything available to them from the get go is natural here, you can't just start saying "we need to nerf excal/dark weapons/exclusive items right now!" to rebalance ultima you have to take small steps, opening a second ship for example, let the players with the most experience in the game try the items which are trying to nerf/rebalance, also there are no quest editors/developers in ultima that is a mayor drawback here you see endgame in ultima, is getting the ultimate equipment for Raid on Central Tower aka roct, if you have equipment for roct you have equipment for the whole game which is sad because RPGs don't have "best" equipments or ultimate if you like there are RPGs that explain that at the beggining of the game for casual players and to let them know that if using one set of equipment doesn't work, switch for another one simply as that, in ultima we have (sorry but it is the truth) stupid items in Sonicteam Armour, Centurion Battle, Dark Meteor, a game heavily focused for ranger/force combination leaving Hunters out by alot, i mean you need insane amounts of hit for your hunter equipment for them to be at least compared to a regular RAcast, now Sonicteam amor is the dumbest thing of them all, i mean you are practically invincible with that armour 80 on all res and being able to use Red Ring without the drawback which is mostly the EDK is stupid i mean back when i played From the Depths was at least a good shield for EDK but it could and still can confuse you, now they release Sonicteam armor what looked like it was gonna be one time event only turned out to be part of the ultima anniversary event, but not only is the resistance the problem, no!, it also gives 500 DFP and EVP! how is that rational in an RPG to have both damage mitigators in one armour?! seriously Wedding Dress should be the balance one having decent res and good DFP/EVP while STA should be Resistance only, but if you start changing things right now in one step ultima will fall with it, simply as that i actually remember when ultima was still almost in vanilla state, the Item Ticket event, i think that is the time when i saw the most amount of full parties in ultima, right now you log in and you see 120349259123 locked parties and a couple of open rooms and they are either AFK or feeding mags, because ultima can be easily be solo'd at least most of the quests, i mean please i did a 12 floors solo run ROCT once with my racast, back when yasminkovs with specials were introduced, now imagine right now you have weapons like Psycho Raven, STA which can mitigate alot of damage, Centurion Battle, i believe someone could actually solo it with some luck, PSO here went from a friendly community with alot of open parties, helping alot each other, to only a few people that still have that spirit and alot of people who just play solo because you can.

Edited by Zero
  • Like 3

I'd like to address a glaring flaw in your thought behind the dark weapons in general. Within the vanilla game the order to which the dark weapons are placed goes as follows (ATP wise):

• Dark Flow
  • Dark Bridge
  • Dark Meteor

The Dark Bridge, within the vanilla game, has more ATP than Dark Meteor, which is meant for attacking. That's just wrong. Thank god the admin's realized this and buffed the weapon because there was no way that DM would be used if DB was stronger than it ATP wise. I don't think a nerf is in the requirement section on this game. The admin purposefully made the game to where they were the BEST of the BEST items you can find within the game. It's like arguing that STA is overpowered and needs a nerf when it's just fine where it is. The reason is because things like PGF and STA aren't always around for you to just pick up. They're only there at specific times for specific ID's. That's it. If we could acquire STA and PGF at any given point in the year for a lot of ID's, I can see where people would think the nerf would be justified, but then again I don't think STA or any of the dark items would be that powerful if we could get it that often anyways.

I do like your idea of increasing damage on the elemental effects of the specials to further match weapons that have zerk or spirit or demons/hell. I like that idea. Make weapons where we know that if we're in an area where enemies are weak to thunder we can use the weapon that has Tempest on it and it'll deal significant damage. I like that idea, but it has to be fine tuned. It can't run rampant where HUcasts are using swords with spells on them and hitting 2k with Tempest effects.

There's a certain thing I'd like to see developed for the better development of the RA class as a whole, but that's a topic for another time.

• Like 2

Even if they didn't want to rebalance the weapons the least they could do is make the specials like tempest and burning do more damage. I don't see people getting mad over that lol if anything people would probably be ecstatic to use them. Would be a change of pace to have something like that instead of charge, berserk, spirit, demon, hell etc. But of course those specials would only do real damage to enemies that are weak to those elements. It would be situational as I said, but not useless. Would be pretty interesting to see something like that.

• Like 1

The dark weapons should get nerfed I said, but I know they wouldn't get nerfed. To many people would be mad that they can't kill stuff in one hit anymore haha.. Excal should get one though lol, zanba needs the buff though it does. I know PGF is kind of a bitch to get so thats understandable and it's a once a year kind of thing so it's not like its everyday. Although personally I think they're a bit OP. But if people want the game to be easier that's all them you know? lol

But yeah of course, I agree I don't think they should do 2000 dmg but something decent enough to wear its pulling its weight instead of like 50-100 dmg, maybe something more than a heavy attack with a level 200. You'd have to scale the attacks of a character at level 200 because of the level 200's hard attack. I think having the special of tempest or burning do maybe like an extra 150-300 dmg more than a hard attack would be viable.

• Like 1

The dark weapons should get nerfed I said, but I know they wouldn't get nerfed. To many people would be mad that they can't kill stuff in one hit anymore haha.. Excal should get one though lol, zanba needs the buff though it does. I know PGF is kind of a bitch to get so thats understandable and it's a once a year kind of thing so it's not like its everyday. Although personally I think they're a bit OP. But if people want the game to be easier that's all them you know? lol

But yeah of course, I agree I don't think they should do 2000 dmg but something decent enough to wear its pulling its weight instead of like 50-100 dmg, maybe something more than a heavy attack with a level 200. You'd have to scale the attacks of a character at level 200 because of the level 200's hard attack. I think having the special of tempest or burning do maybe like an extra 150-300 dmg more than a hard attack would be viable.

I think you have a misconception about the dark weapons in general. People are not killing everything in one hit with dark weapons. That's a very bold statement. Zanba is strong as is, it's ATA could be raised to make it a little more on par with DF or TJS; essentially the sword is fine, as always, hit with a zerk weapon is basically a necessity. I also see you making a lot of general statements, which is very confusing because I don't think you're speaking for a lot of people when you say you think they deserve nerfs. I don't personally see very many people complaining about dark weapons being OP because dark weapons are hard to get because of the rarity of PGF.

Auroboro don't forget Dark Flow has a special, it's Dark Flow special that makes it an overpowered weapon.
I saw people ( cough cough Zero) killing buffed berla faster than people with yas9k demon with Dark Flow Special.
Well, Dark Flow special is one of the few things in this game that actually requires skills to use, and spawn knowledge ofc.
Also Dark Meteor is a shot with a broken huge range, you can kill whole room staying moveless in one spot spamming charged attacks (not everywhere ofc),and better not talk of Dark Meteor Special it has more range than normal attack, it last seconds so you can spawn kill things and can hit countless targets.
I won't talk of Dark Bridge cause i never tried it but with hit you can deal 800+ with rafoie in ep 4 combined with hylian.
Why even talk about STA, you are pretty much immortal and you can enjoy your free fire/ice/thunder epsilon shield rides in ROCT.
In my opinion combo unlocking dark weapons without buffing them was more than enough to make them enjoyable.

Also reconnecting to burning and thunder specials, i think that in an rpg whatever you do there will always be useless things, usually i'm the kind of player that likes to use the best weapon for every situation, so i think that more weapon variety would be good, but you will only force things trying to buff every useless aspect of the game.

I think the biggest limitation of this game is shared loot. For most of people (probably the ones Zero called casual) the whole point of this game is hunting items, more people means you have to divide drops with other players. That's why since people can solo, or duo almost everything they just do it, cause it's more efficient for getting items. Also doublelogging makes this thing get even worse.
There would be way less locked room if drop wasn't shared.

Also, i think that here in Ultima there's no reason to balance things, most of people would only dislike it.

Edited by BK-201
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure that you have the misconception. Well have you ever used the dark flow special with low health or better yet do you even own one to begin with? 1 hit kills.. And playing with dark weapons is easy dude. I've been playing this game since dreamcast and I can tell you right now that the dark weapons do make the game way easier. And like I said compared the difference between Zanba and Excal, as I said excal is basically an all character weapon with almost 1000 ATP, Zanba has half of that and it's only usable by a couple characters as I said. So clearly something is wrong there.. If you don't understand that I don't know what to tell you lol. I mean the zanba is strong but not like excal which it should be considering not everybody can use it.

I think weapons like Katana, Knuckles, and Talis should get a buff though. Nobody uses them at all lol and they don't even compare to the other weapons. That's another thing other than boosting tempest and burning. Imagine Knuckles that you could use to where you punch and it creates an impact and hits all the enemies in the area around you. That might actually make knuckles fun and viable to use.