Error upon "Start Game"

cxojinu

I recently got the urge to start playing psobb again, decided to try out Ultima, and proceeded to download your launcher, etc. I installed the game on my work computer and played it during the day, and excitedly dumped it on my usb to continue when I got home. Unfortunately, upon unloading my usb's contents onto my home computer, the game no longer works. I also tried updating my old psobb folder with the patch available in your downloads section to no avail.

When I open the launcher (online.exe) and click "Start Game", I immediately get an error window stating that "PsoBw.exe has stopped working". As instructed by the FAQ, I checked the resolution in the options, and while my native resolution isn't supported, I was sure to pick the one closest in size. My desktop is more than capable of playing anything I throw at it, and I spent many years in the past on psobb on this same computer.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance for your support.

PS: Both my home and work computer are running windows 7.

Edited by cxojinu

It's not a desktop issue it seems, it's still a resolution issue, trying changing your resolution to anything that can be supported by PSO and run it, see if it fixes it, if not we can try and find out what could be wrong.

Also make sure you have exceptions in your Antivirus and Firewall for the whole folder.

Let me know.

I set the resolution in the options to 1600x900, the closest to the native resolution of my monitor - 1680x1050, (which isnt available from the drop down), and afterwards even tried setting my monitor resolution to 1600x900 to match it, as well as trying the smaller resolutions in the options.
I run the game as Administrator, and tried launching it with firewall and antivirus completely disabled to no effect.

Edited by cxojinu

This is what I want you to do, check the resolution on Widescreen mode, change the resolution on your monitor to anything else, (I understand it's native, but change it for the sake of the test, should support 1280x720) and then find the resolution on PSO.

If all this fails, try to re-install the game, if it persists feel free to PM me, so we can get things sorted for you.

So I got it working and here's how (on Windows 7 x64)

Open "Control Panel"
Open "System"
Click "Advanced System Settings"
Go to "Advanced" tab
Click "Settings" Under Performance
Go to "Data Execution Prevention" tab
Select "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only"

And now it's running, no problem!
Thanks squish for your efforts and hanging in there!
Good luck to anyone else who runs into this problem, hope this helps!