Problem connecting with the server

AlmirTh

Hiya people. first of all.. I want to say that I'm still learning english (alone) so, if I wrote something wrong please forgive me.

I having problems to connect with the game recently, everytime when I'm connecting the game freezes in some point then start all over, if i keep insisting the game connects but it takes 30 or 40 minutes ~ After connecting to the server the game runs fine, no more disconnections or problems.. but it's really annoying take 30 minutes trying to connect to the server.

This must be a problem with my PC or Internet, but I don't know how to fix it, I made a video showing this problem.

Video

(The video is laggy because I choose the worst recorder ever, but anyways..)

Any Ideas anyone? :<

Sure, I don't know how the 8x8 works but, these were the results.

print2_zps4327b079.jpg

print3_zpsa01a475f.jpg

And I don't know if this is related, but I noticed that I log out automatically from the forum too.. (after some seconds)

Edit: Eh, forget what I said about the forum, its working fine now.

Edited by AlmirTh

Odd error on the packet test. Looks like your upload speeds could be part of the problem on the speed test. Are you on wifi? If so, can you re-position the computer somewhere that you get a better signal?

If you have an android phone, this is a good tool for helping you figure out the best place for a strong wireless signal (I prefer this to any other tool due to how simple it is to use):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

There are other windows apps that can help as well:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/121211-wifi-tools-253789.html

If it is your connection that is the issue, those tools could possibly help. If you're not using a wireless connection, we can troubleshoot further.

Nop, I don't have wifi, I'm using a modem.

Also I don't think the problem is my Internet speed because I always used this same internet, and this problem never happend on my PSO since recently (4 days ago)

My friend said this must be a DNS problem, and I think so too, but I already used every method that I know to fix a DNS and still with the same problem. :<

I have the same problem, I must even say is worst for me because I can't even go to the character choice 7/10 times.

After a lot of investigation, I got some info about this problem:

1st Way:
----------------------------

1) First cut every others application (steam, anti-virus, browsers etc...., use Task Manager for better efficiency).

2) Launch you network window to see how your bandwidth is consumed.

3) Then you will see that no data is transferred right now (0 send, 0 received). If not, search another software that use the network bandwidth and kill him.

4) Let your network window visible and start PSO in windowed mode.

5) Now it's important, after choosing "start game", wait until no packets are transferred.

6) When it's the case, you can push A or "enter" key, then you will need to reproduce 5) and 6) at every screen waiting for input (be careful, in Character select wait some times after chose your character just before validate "select").

Why I said this ?

It's simple, when you have a low upload speed like me, asking too many uploads packets in a time can result to have some loss packets, and when it's the case, the game will freeze, crash or just say "no connexion", so you need to be sure that every packets can be send without struggling by too many request at once.

2nd Way:

The 2nd way is only working if you use some external application to access web, like Proxy, VPN or anything else with the same low upload speed...

You can see easily if you need to use the 2nd way by making a test at http://www.speedtest.net/.
If in your speedtest the upload part is struggling (by struggling I mean it take some time before activate --> launching test or the test have a hard time to update the info speed), then the 2nd way is for you.

1) First cut every others application (steam, anti-virus etc...., use Task Manager for better efficiency), but keep you browser alive with only 1 tab and no add-on installed/activate.

3) Then you will see that no data is transferred right now (0 send, 0 received). If not, search another software that use the network bandwidth and kill him.

4) Let your network window visible and your browser on the speedtest page (without lauching it) and start PSO in windowed mode.

5) Now it's important, after choosing "start game", wait until no packets are transferred.

6) Then you need to launch the the speedtest just before where your game freeze and wait the upload test part start before push "enter" key, the fact is, you need the upload speedtest ongoing when you enter the part where your game freeze to be sure that your do not get a liverequest = end.

In PSO, if during some time the game does not get some upload packets, the game cut the connection off and send you to the main menu, so far, if your upload take time to launch those packets you can get freeze, crash or a " no connection available", that's why you need something that force you connection to start upload packets massively.

Like you see 2 different method for a same problem, uploads.....

I think this is something related to soda server, since Schthack don't get this problem... :/

Edited by zaykho

I have the same problem, I must even say is worst for me because I can't even go to the character choice 7/10 times.

After a lot of investigation, I got some info about this problem:

1st Way:

1) First cut every others application (steam, anti-virus, browsers etc...., use Task Manager for better efficiency).

4) Let your network window visible and start PSO in windowed mode.

6) When it's the case, you can push A or "enter" key, then you will need to reproduce 5) and 6) at every screen waiting for input (be careful, in Character select wait some times after chose your character just before validate "select").

Why I said this ?

It's simple, when you have a low upload speed like me, asking too many uploads packets in a time can result to have some loss packets, and when it's the case, the game will freeze, crash or just say "no connexion", so you need to be sure that every packets can be send without struggling by too many request at once.

2nd Way:

The 2nd way is only working if you use some external application to access web, like Proxy, VPN or anything else with the same low upload speed...

You can see easily if you need to use the 2nd way by making a test at http://www.speedtest.net/.

If in your speedtest the upload part is struggling (by struggling I mean it take some time before activate --> launching test or the test have a hard time to update the info speed), then the 2nd way is for you.

1) First cut every others application (steam, anti-virus etc...., use Task Manager for better efficiency), but keep you browser alive with only 1 tab and no add-on installed/activate.

4) Let your network window visible and your browser on the speedtest page (without lauching it) and start PSO in windowed mode.

6) Then you need to launch the the speedtest just before where your game freeze and wait the upload test part start before push "enter" key, the fact is, you need the upload speedtest ongoing when you enter the part where your game freeze to be sure that your do not get a liverequest = end.

In PSO, if during some time the game does not get some upload packets, the game cut the connection off and send you to the main menu, so far, if your upload take time to launch those packets you can get freeze, crash or a " no connection available", that's why you need something that force you connection to start upload packets massively.

Like you see 2 different method for a same problem, uploads.....

I think this is something related to soda server, since Schthack don't get this problem... :/

It didn't worked for me. :<

Do you guys have problems with other online games/applications?

Yep, there is only one more game with that same problem, but the other game only takes 2 or 3 attempts to work.

No others games/app or anything else got this problem for me.

I play on Trackmania when I have time, and didn't' get any problem.

In example, right now, for fast connection to the lobby I need to start a .torrent (legal torrent :3), when the torrent get the maximum amount of connection (244 ko/s / 250 ko/s) I can connect in one try without any problems...

So far, the 2nd way is working great for me.

Edited by zaykho

Check your mtu, pso packets become fragmented and screw up on low mtu values. Specfically the welcome packet. It's the one being recieved right after the patch message, during the matrix screen.

When this packet fails it produces a 916.

Edit

Watched your video, your upload speed is 100% at fault, it's freezing at 0x10 menu command packets which aren't sending the reply in time so the server is disconnecting with an error 100.

Schtserv mighg work, because it's more forgiving, or simply because of geographical location of the server in question. Example atlas is in europe.

Btw psobb had a minimum network requirement of 256kbps

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1

I know in Schtserv I don't have any problem at all.

About MTU, I will test some configuration tonight to see If it can resolve my problems.

Thank you for the help, Lee. :3

Edited by zaykho

1492 on pppoe (cable), 1500 on pppoatm (dsl) actually.

Also I will point out this:

• Location:Ultima < (Looks like a data center washington dc or beyond).
Edited by Lee