The Rich and the Poor

Putting this back on topic, I actually think there are several reasons people stay "poor" on the server:

• You need good items to hunt items. The less good items you have, the less you can hunt. I've been trying to fix this with mini events, like our free 50 hit on ano bazookas. They aren't the world's greatest items, but they are great for helping newer players.
  • Some people can't afford to donate. The game isn't really pay to play, but it's a lot easier to jump ahead with a few donations. And again, once you have good items, it's easy to hunt more.
  • Until you make friends, it's hard to get items. Solo play is rough for hunting until you're "rich."
  • It takes a long time to get rich. Many people don't devote enough hours to do so. A lot of players quit after just a few months or don't actually hunt event items during the events. Miss out on key events, and you stay poor.

That being said, people I play with tend to not be "poor." I like to help players when I can. With the right team, it's easy to move ahead in the game. With teamwork, donations really are optional to support the server.

• Like 7

I totally agree with the points stated by kajex... I started some months ago and i don't consider myself "rich" (in money) but i'm very rich in friends. I have pretty decent gear so far and i haven't donated a single penny (yet, but i'd like to support the server) ...almost all my gear is hunted, at the start i got some gifts but nothing "expensive" (a lot of new players get this kind of gifts too, i mean charge vulcan/arms, H/units, frames and shields) and by the time i think i only have 2 really good weapons (you know, something that would take a lot of time to get) but one is a present from a really good friend and the other was a hunt/trade, again, almost impossible to get w/o teamwork... So, i think the best way to get out of the "poor" side is making friends and teams.

To be rich you don't have to swim in a pool of money! (works for real life too :P )

These next few lines are just my opinion:

I disagree with the original statement of Colorado about the definition of rich and poor. In addition that there is no middle class and the overall attitude here.

Rich has many forms, it's not the amount of PDs you have, or the gear you get, nor is it satisfaction with gear (there is always better). "Rich" therefore is an arbitrary statement in my opinion. "Rich" is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps a goal to reach. Whatever it is you can't put prices on lots of things (Friends, Certain items, gifts etc..). Poor is also in the same effect an arbitrary statement; most "poor" players are either completely new to the Server/Game or haven't had the opportunity to hunt/make friends/merchant whatever. It's like saying a person who gifted another person a C/Vulcan will not have the same value to that person as a hunted one. So on and so forth.

If you take into consideration the definitions put forth by Colorado, then there is a middle class (hence my point for a second disagreement). People long enough in the server to have things, hunted or otherwise. I, for one consider myself to be "middle class" by those given definitions.

Overall, it's topics like these that try to further divide the population into Elite or Non-Elite and it has to stop. Even if it wasn't intended which I am sure it was not, readers just get an idea from topic. This is a game, a chance for like-minded individuals to come together to have fun, make friends, kill Boomas and most importantly sit in the lobby and troll for a while.

Edit: I didn't notice Kajex's post eariler on about the down voting war. I am not starting anything nor was I asked to do so. I just did not like the way everything was presented etc.

Edited by squish
  • Like 4

[off topic]/on
Well, first, I will thank's Kajex for his intervention, because like kajex (and many others people) I think this question is interesting and need to have a proper debate.

I leaved Schthack due to this bashing company (if you got a problem with someone who are in a team, you are definitively screwed), so, let's try to not become like this !

[off topic]/off

Now let's return to the main subject:

Since in another server I was considered "rich" (I have got everything [even a lot of items that have 3500+ pds cost, like pioneer mag, before people hack/duplicate them...]), and now, starting a total new account on here (Ultima), take me back to the "poor" situation where I'm so desperate than I'm trying to sell those addslots and Photon crystals.... ╮(•˘︿ ˘• )╭

For sure, it's a normal behavior, you can't become "rich" in 2 days after all !

Like in life, becoming rich take time, unless you come to this game with a friend giving you everything you want (like Paris Hilton IRL)....

But then comes the trouble (like yesterday) when events came !

It's simple, a lot of events can be won only by "rich" making them more rich, and "poor" people can't participate knowing it will be a waste of time since they didn't have the stuff do handle this, so rich become more richer and poor become poorer.....

Plus, If you include in this equation the fact that you can bought items with real money, you pretty sure that poor are poor, and the only way to escape this is to know the game perfectly, by spending your little time on important things (mag, mag, mag ...) then buying ONLY essentials weapons for hunting and lvup very fast, things beginners don't know, or being a good sellers, by buying stuff at low price and reselling them later, or selling stuff that nobody sell.... (like me).

But whatever, only pro (I mean people knowing well the game) can travel "poor" situation to "rich" status quickly, the others will stay "poor" indefinitely without enjoying mini-event or others great things.....

About "middle" class, it's pretty simple, only people is traveling can go to: poor -> middle -> rich !

The "middle" class is temporal, because they have the time to lvup and hunt, or they got someone who helped them a lot, or they know pretty well the game, but, If you don't have enough time to leveling and hunting, or having a good friend to help you, or don't know anything about this game (totally new to pso or even ps series), well you are going to be a "poor" guy for a long time.....

Edit: English is not my native language , so sry if I did some mistake ! :P

Edited by zaykho
  • Like 2

As much as I hate to say it, I have to agree with Armando. There are two type of rich people in this server:

People who pay like crazy for donations and people who've played for at least a year.

People coming on and playing for 1-2 months makes that difference. You either play for 1-2 months or stay much longer. It's actually pretty sad when you think about it. Some of those people might leave BECAUSE they spent so much time on here and are still poor. :onion-head75:

Edit: And people who get rich off of rich people, but do those count? Also, sorry that this post turned into a flame war, it's actually a good topic to debate.

Edit #2: I need to shut up and stop editing. The middle class DOES exist, however it's so rare that it's quite amazing. The middle class consists of those who are TRYING to play long enough to get to the rich status. I'm middle class, as I'm decently geared but not overpowered, as well as that I'm useful in combat but not dealing nearly as much damage as others.

Edited by Kolective

Like Kajex and Soly said the reason why the rich get richer is because of exponential growth, Just like in the world around us people who are already popular or have any form of money or power have a much easier time getting richer. The poor however who have no power must come up the hard way.

The only way to sway this dynamic is your own involvement! Help out new players, give them the essentials. If you have a dark weapon, don't just team with a bunch of other high players, invite a weaker player to come with you.

One last thing using words like rich and poor are only possible because of relativity. Without comparing yourself to other people you will never feel poor. Accept that you are just where you are in the game, be comfortable with it and just play! After all its fun no matter whate level you are. I played a long time as a player totally incompetent on ult. I didn't mind at all its fun to just play, obtain items, and learn no matter what speed you play at. Lots of us have played schthack for along time can you imagine going back there after all ultima does for us? Yet it would still be lots of fun because at the end of the day its pso ^^

Also why are people down voting Wilson for this awesome topic?

Edited by Aiden Payne
  • Like 4

I'm confused, you say there is no middle class but being satisfied with your gear is rich but not rich at the same time...Wouldn't that be classified as middle class? and you say this economy is unbalanced....have you not tried any other games? Every game is like this, if you have money you can make more money easily and so forth, It has never changed and how would you change it? What would be called a balanced economy? Everyone having a dark weapon? And also everyone who has money has worked hard for it (real life or in game) so why don't you just play the game and get the gear you want.

@ kingra: you said "anyone in real life or in this game with money has worked hard for it"

I dont agree with this statement. Fortune comes to people sometimes purly out of luck. There are lots of hard working people who make 50 cents an hour. And while we don't have any obligation turn around and share with these people just imagine if you were them.

Edited by Aiden Payne
  • Like 2

Well now that we have this thread back on track, it is nice to see opinions of all you guys, but like King Ra said I do think the economy is a little off and maybe that is because people don't like to trade because they fear bugs and stuff that I don't really know but on other games there is a "rich" and a "poor" but I still feel like the divide here is worse since we have so few players. Another thing is there doesn't really seem to be enough trading in the game, which for me is my favorite part :)

• Like 3

I'm glad after reading this topic that the current mini event winners are all relatively newer players. It's nice to disprove the theory that only the elite players who have been here forever are the only ones who can win challenging mini events, especially since I made such difficult requirements. I'm sure part of the reason for this is most of the quests to obtain the items can be done by anyone. Booma claws and photon tickets do not require ultimate at all. We're trying to listen to feedback from the community about mini events, and as such I no longer am requiring a huge stash of PDs or expensive rares to win my events.

• Like 2

I'm glad after reading this topic that the current mini event winners are all relatively newer players. It's nice to disprove the theory that only the elite players who have been here forever are the only ones who can win challenging mini events, especially since I made such difficult requirements. I'm sure part of the reason for this is most of the quests to obtain the items can be done by anyone. Booma claws and photon tickets do not require ultimate at all. We're trying to listen to feedback from the community about mini events, and as such I no longer am requiring a huge stash of PDs or expensive rares to win my events.

Well that works out perfectly =] :onion86:

• Like 1